30 September 2015

Good Medicine

Someone really special to me once told me this:

"Every day that I am upset about something, it's a day that I lose off my life. I can never get those back. So now that I'm old, I don't have the time to be upset anymore. It takes away from living."
At the time, I took this piece of advice and I tucked it away, because I really wasn't ready to face what she meant.
In light of recent events, I feel more than ever now that forgiveness is a crucial part of growth. Moving across the world to a community where I must build and decide my own experiences, it is simply too difficult to carry the burden of such trivial worries!
Last night, a good friend and I spent the evening chatting over a bottle of wine. And for those who were lucky enough to witness it, you saw my Snapchat story where I was laughing uncontrollably. In the midst of drunken confusion, I accidentally posted it for everyone to see.

and I'm not embarrassed...(because laughter turns out to be good medicine)

After I saw this morning that I had posted the video, I realised how much lighter I felt after our evening. Another influential woman in my life used to encourage the idea of unloading your emotional backpack. She helped me understand that we naturally carry around these feelings with us, and that they will weigh heavily on us if we let them. She encouraged me to unload those feelings by confronting them, and by trying to understand where they came from. Forgive things... and if you can't forgive it, make it right and let yourself move forward.

I've always envied people who appear to live as if they truly have no worries.... It almost seems like "if they were any more laid back, they'd be sliding along the ground!"- J.S.

It can be very difficult to push aside feelings and not let them cloud your mind from what really matters. People who handle these things well had to learn these behaviors from somewhere. I feel disappointed for the days that I have lost because I spent them being bitter about issues I wouldn't even remember a month later. I will never forget the day that I had a teacher whom I highly respected call me bitter. I was ashamed that I projected that kind of energy, and it really made me consider how what I was feeling inside reflected outside, too. A person cannot expect to become completely laid back just by desiring to be, but I think it is important to remind yourself often that you must try. If we spend our time thinking about trivial things, we never have the time or energy to think about the bigger things- the things that matter!

This year, I want to spend more time out and about experiencing things with new people and exploring new ideas and less time feeling so troubled by tiny incidents. I don't want to lose a single day.





No comments:

Post a Comment