20 September 2015

(Don't) Talk to Strangers

A woman who looked to be about 60 approached me today and asked me for directions at the train station.
Of course, I had no idea where to go... And I had no idea where I was.
But she sat down beside me anyway and proceeded to tell me this:
...
"I met my husband when I was 14. At 17, I had my first baby. I didn't even know where it would come out. People didn't talk about their bodies and they were so ashamed of speaking about sex. I didn't know anything. And then at 18 and 20, two more babies.

I'm 78 now and no one believes me. I was 55 when I got divorced and I never had a life before it.
He controlled every piece of my life and I didn't know anything about the world. I go to discos now and I have fun and I live. He's still alive but we don't talk, and the family is cruel. I wish I had someone to share my life with now. I live in a beautiful house but I'm happier now, even with no one to share it with. I want to communicate with teenagers that you don't have to go out and drink and smoke to live. And you should live. Don't act like an old lady, because I acted like an old lady when I was young and now I have to be young now, because I never had the chance to.

I have a friend that thinks she's worthless and stupid because she's kind and she giving, but people have used her. So I'm going to see her. And I'm going to show her that she is a wonderful person. Women need to know this. They need to know they are strong."

I think we need to start telling our kids to talk to strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment