12 October 2015

5 Great Things (In a Terrible, Crappy Monday)

I can't normally say this... but my Monday was especially crappy. I felt like a zombie all morning and I walked around feeling so un-human it was unbearable. But by 10PM, I could count 5 great things that had come out of my terribly crappy day.

1. Coming home to a clean room. (My mom must be smiling!)
- but seriously - 

Walking in the door this afternoon to a nicely made bed and an organized space made me feel a whole lot better. It helped me remember that even if I didn't do anything else right, at least I had made my bed. Which is surprisingly comforting. If you don't believe me, try it. Also, check out this incredible speech which inspired me to start doing this.

2. My family. 
I feel pretty darn lucky to be able to get to chat face-to-face with my family using FaceTime and through phone calls nearly whenever we want. 25 years ago when my mom was here, she didn't have the luxury to call home when she needed her people. Hats off to you, technology, you have saved me from some serious tears.

3. Country music. 
Now you may not feel the same love for this genre that I do, but there is something about how Ian Tyson and Paul Brandt describe my home in their lyrics that makes me feel a little closer. Convoy and Alberta Bound have hit my Top 25. Now all I need to do is remember to close out of iTunes before I open up my laptop in class. Needless to say, my classmates are fully aware of my musical taste and don't appreciate it too much. 

4. Our strength team.
While I have described us as "slightly offensive" in the past, I must admit that there's a little more to our club than that. The energy is great, the people are great, and it makes me feel great. I wrote a post a while back about wanting to be a part of something that would re-motivate me to lift and to really love it like I once did. I think I've found it and I can't wait to see where it will take me.

5. My projects.
I have trying to immerse myself in as much public speaking as I can- and my classes have really supported that desire for growth. With my project on Random Acts of Kindness ready to go, now all I need to do is share it with my class & hope that it catches on and grows to be something much bigger. I'm grateful that I get to do what I love!

Depending on where you are, you are either just waking up or heading to bed. If your Monday has yet to start, I hope you can make it a great one. As my mom would remind me, "Shine bright!"- and go your best. If all else fails, think of five things that you can be grateful for and let that be enough. 

And when you wake, remember this:
Yesterday ended last night. Today is a new day and it's yours.




No comments:

Post a Comment