7 November 2015

risk<gain

It seems like it's been ages since I sat down at my computer to write something other than notes about communication theory. I feel so engaged in my classes and assignments right now that I haven't made a lot of time lately to reflect here on my experiences. And as usual, life has been busy and full of many ups downs. I have met so many new and incredible people here that bring me new perspectives everyday, and I find so much happiness just getting out into the world and hearing what they have to say.

But it can be difficult to feel comfortable in a new place when nothing is familiar to you. I feel this way when I'm challenged with something as silly as taking the bus to a new place and having to trust my gut and maps to get me where I need to go. I can say with complete confidence that every time I have challenged myself by going out of my comfort zone, I never regretted it. I generally end up striking up a conversation with someone somewhere along the way or finding a cool hangout (like the outdoor diner I went to last week- amazing place!)

I must admit that not every day has been easy. Sometimes when I wake up I have to ask myself if it's actually true that I moved here to Australia alone, not to mention am a young woman of only 17 who has already began her university studies. I struggled a lot with wondering if perhaps I was "just too young", or simply not ready for the things I had taken on so quickly. Sometimes we need to take a step back and remember how far we've come.  It's easy to get caught up in what other people and the media portray as success that it warps our own understanding of it. I'm grateful for good friends and family who remind me that I have all the tools in need to be successful and thrive. A close friend of mine always makes a point of reminding me three important things: 

remember who you are, 
you can do hard things, 
make good choices. 

They are three simple statements but in 12 words sum up some things that maybe we all would benefit from thinking about more often.

I'm so humbled when I interact with anyone who shows me a little piece of their soul. Transparency is so valuable and so underrated. I understand the need for privacy as much as the next person, but I also see the value in laying all my cards on the table. Building real relationships with genuine people means that you often have to be transparent and willing to be vulnerable in situations. The risk can be worth the gain. You have to be willing to talk about the things that people don't like to address or speak on. Some of the realest people I've met in my life are the ones who really open up and let others into their heart. I've always admired their ability to do this and watch how it ties people together and creates amazing relationships.

I want to share with you something that I wrote nearly six months ago that I was reminded of today:

(talking about relationships)
"Forget about interests, jobs, sports, looks, all of that initial stuff. I see now that what is most important is their soul. All of these other things will change. But someone’s soul is there to stay. Find someone who you can talk openly with… not about sex and trivial matters… but instead your deepest thoughts, questions and confessions… 
someone who, if they asked you, you would let ride around inside of your head for the day just to hear your uncensored thoughts... 

those are the kind of people that we should all want to find."


- K






No comments:

Post a Comment