18 August 2015

Happiness is a Choice

I believe that happiness is not something that we are given, but something that we learn because of our understanding and acceptance of the world. People are happy because of what has happened to them, but also despite it. Think about it. How many people do you know that have had incredible traumas and yet still lead an incredible life? Infidelity, the passing of close friends and family, health issues... any type of personal loss can seriously impact the quality of life of an individual.

I think about the people in my life whom I know that have been affected by such issues. The way that they lead by example by continuing to enjoy each passing day to the best of their ability inspires me.

I think of the police officer who has had to face endless scarring situations, yet still manages to be the best father and role model despite his deep (and perhaps unfortunate) understanding of human nature. I think about those who are plagued by mental and physical illness yet still find pure joy in day-to-day tasks, simply because they are thankful to be existing. I think that being grateful and kind sets you up to be that much more successful, among many other attributes. 

I think of those who have overcome addiction and now help others to do the same.

I think of every customer who has peered into my eyes, just begging for anyone to reach out and listen to their stories.

I think of all the happy people I know and I feel joyful, because I understand that in order to become such incredible people, almost every single one had to overcome life circumstances that were not ideal, and so can I, and so can you.

I cannot think of a single person whom has "had it easy" and has had a remarkable impact on their world. No one has a perfect life. I think it is brave to say, "Not today world! You have given me unfortunate circumstances but I will continue to shine, because I have so many other things to be grateful for. I am not only going to be happy and successful, I am going to be a light to others." Remind yourself of this. I think it is brave to choose happiness. 

It is easy to give up. We all fight the urge to do it.
Find comfort in knowing that those who you look up to most battle with the same issues you do, for we are all alike in our struggles and fears, even though we all appear to be so different. Find comfort in nurturing your relationships with others and helping others grow. Be honest and stay real. Spread happiness like it's going out of fashion. Think of everyone you are inspiring just by being you. Let that be enough to get you out of bed each day.

- K




No comments:

Post a Comment