30 December 2015

{goodbye 2015}

I WAS BORN
in Medicine Hat, on Superbowl Sunday, on a weekend in late January. I can't remember the last time I watched football. Most of my weekends growing up were spent at Hidden Valley snowboarding, or on ice rinks around the city playing ringette. I drive a truck, and I listen I faithfully listen to CHAT94.5.

This is my place.

It doesn't seem to long ago that I was begging my parents to let me move to Australia- but it might not be what you're thinking. My go-to strategy when I was younger and in a tough situation was to imagine what it would be like if I just packed my bags and went far, far away. I think we all envision this. However when I did eventually leave many years later, I didn't feel like I was escaping. In fact, I felt as if I had established myself a nice little life and I was quite sad to leave that behind. Sometime between my younger days and graduation, I realized that my attitudes would follow me wherever I went, and that my situation was a result of that.

I still see that today.

Being home again has brought many emotions- but I am happy to report that most have been positive. Several things have changed since I have been gone but I do believe that what changes most is us- how we perceive things is what differs most when we return to a place. Stores and businesses will come and go, but Medicine Hat will always be the same place where my roots link back to.

2015 has seen a great deal of change for me- much more than previous years. But despite all of the changes, I feel as if I am going into this new year with the best mindset yet. One of my biggest goals will be to use what I've been learning and write much more about my experiences on my blog. I'd like to see my list of drafts diminish and my number of posts increase!

People like the use the phrase, "new year, new me!" to express how they will believe that life will suddenly become completely different when that clock strikes midnight on the 31st of January. Perhaps the greatest realization is that things do not change within the blink of an eye or a tick of a clock. Great work takes great time. This year my challenge (and yours) is to be both persistent and patient in making those things happen. Think about your goals and make realistic plans to make them happen. Small progress is still progress.

That being said,
{You are under no obligation to be the same person you were last year, last month, or even 15 minutes ago}
....... so take advantage of that!

I want to say thank you to everyone who touched my life in 2015. It's been an incredible year.

- Kel



No comments:

Post a Comment